1 Pan Spatchcock Chicken Dinner
March 2, 2021 • 0 comments
1 pan dinner? Yes, please! This dinner is easy and delicious with fast clean up after!
- 1 whole chicken(3-6lbs)-order HERE
- olive oil
- 4 Tbsp Manglitsa Lard or butter
- 1 Tbsp parsley finely chopped-(dried works too)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt plus more for vegetables
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Vegetables of choice (any root vegetable works good)
- Trimmed and halved brussel sprouts
- small whole potatoes or quartered potatoes
- Quartered carrots
- Preheat oven to 425˚F
- Place chicken breast-side down with the wings/neck facing towards you. To remove the spine, use kitchen shears(or knife) to cut through the ribs right next to the spine along both sides. Open rib cage and use a heavy knife to score down the sternum. This will help pop out the breast bone and flatten chicken. Season inside the chicken with 1/2 tsp salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Flip the chicken over breast side up and set on parchment-lined, rimmed baking half sheet. Using the palm of your hand, push firmly over the breast bone forcing the chicken to lay completely flat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the rub ingredients. Mash with fork for a couple of minutes until lemon juice is mostly incorporated into the lard or butter.
- Spread 2/3 of mixture under the chicken skin and and spread remaining butter all over chicken.
- Place prepared vegetables all around the chicken and drizzle everything with olive oil. Sprinkle chicken and vegetables generously with salt and some black pepper to taste. Slice remaining lemon and add to tray.
- Bake uncovered at 425˚F for 45 min-1.5 hours or until instant read thermometer reads 160˚F when inserted into thickest part of chicken breast. Remove form oven and rest uncovered 10 minutes before serving.
Chicken Bone Broth/Stock
- Save removed raw chicken back and remove any extra meat from the cooked carcass to make another meal.
- Place all bones, back and extra discarded scrapes in the crockpot or instantpot.
- Add any scrap veggies you have such as an onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and a few peppercorns.
- Fill crockpot with water to cover the bones and veggies.
- Add a glug of apple cider vinegar (1-2 tbsp)
- Cover and cook on low around 24 hours in slow cooker or 2+ hours in on high pressure in instant pot.
- Strain and let cool. Place in fridge if using in a few days or in freezer for longer storage.
- Use to make a soup, save to use in other recipes or sip warm for a nutrient dense drink.