These stuffed peppers have no rice and lean towards the lasagna side. This is an easy recipe to try with ground beef.
1 lbs of Ground beef
3-4 bell peppers, variety of colors cut in half
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves minced
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 cup spinach or diced zucchini (optional)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 TBSP tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat pan and add olive oil. Sauté onions add garlic for 30 seconds. Then add beef to brown.
- Once browned add spinach or zucchini. When cooked add diced tomatoes, tomato paste and seasoning.
- In a different bowl mix together ricotta, egg, 1/2 or the Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese.
- Remove meat mixture from stove and let rest. Loosely mix the ricotta mix with meat and quickly fill peppers with mixture.
- Put peppers in a baking dish and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. If there is extra filling it can be added to the pan.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook additional 10 minutes. Enjoy!