A whole chicken? What do I do with that? I am always so surprised when I hear people have never cooked a whole chicken before. Don't you fret, the Farmher is here to help you make the absolute easiest and most tender chicken dinner with the extra bonus of chicken broth for later. All you need a slow cooker and a few minutes of preparation and you have a meal everyone will enjoy.
- 1 whole chicken(3-5lbs)-order HERE
- 1 onion
Rub of your choice or the following spice:
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Loosely chop onion and place on bottom of slow cooker.
- Mix together spices for rub or use your own and rub all over the whole chicken.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker, breast side down, cover.
- Cook on high for 4-5 hours, can also be cooked for 1 hour on high and finished on low for a longer time.
- Meat should be falling off the bone tender and ready to serve. If you would like a crispier skin, place under broiler for 5 minutes.
Chicken Bone Broth/Stock
- Remove any extra meat from carcass to make another meal.
- Place all bones or extra discarded scrapes in the crockpot with the remaining juices and onions still in it from cooking.
- Add any scrap veggies you have such as an onion, garlic, carrots, celery, and a few peppercorns.
- Fill crockpot with water to cover the bones and veggies.
- Add a glug of apple cider vinegar (1-2 tbsp)
- Cover and cook on low around 24 hours.
- Strain and let cool. Place in fridge if using in a few days or in freezer for longer storage.
- Use to make a soup, save to use in other recipes or sip warm for a nutrient dense drink.